Member Exam & Workshop
The IRPM Member Exam is the final exam of the IRPM qualification. Open to current IRPM Associates, it is also open to those entering Member level membership through the Direct Entry route.
Associates (AIRPM) of the Institute as well as having passed the Foundation & Associate Exams, must also have completed three years in the residential property management sector, before they can sit the IRPM Member Exam.
The IRPM has commissioned the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) to design and run this examination. The CIH is a nationally recognised Awarding Body for housing qualifications. In addition the CIH provides qualifications delivered by Universities and Colleges within the UK and overseas. This means the CIH has considerable experience and expertise in the design and delivery of qualifications to national quality assured standards.
The IRPM Member Exam is considered to be on a par with Level 4 NVQ.
Upcoming dates for the IRPM Member Exams:
- Tuesday 15th October 2019 London and Manchester - Booking form
Upcoming dates for Member Exam Preparatory Workshops:
IRPM Member Exam workshop objectives:
The overall objective is to ensure that those sitting the exam are fully prepared and that there are no surprises.
At the end of the day attendees will:
- Know what the exam paper looks like and its structure
- Will know how to manage their time on the day
- Will understand how the papers are marked
- Will know what the examiner is looking for to award a pass and why papers are failed.
- Be given ‘tips’ on how to prepare
- Understand the level of learning required to pass.
- Know what reading / resources are available that match the syllabus.
- Have worked through previous exam papers in a group setting where questions posed are of typical scenarios faced by property managers so that:-
- Will be in a position to identify their gaps in knowledge in order to focus their learning in the time leading up to the exam.
There is no Member Exam course material, the exam is based entirely on your work experience. Candidates are expected to have gained at least three years experience in the sector. Please refer to the "Additional information" for past exam papers and the Resource Hub for the syllabus.
The Member Exam consists of two parts:
- Part 1 - consists of a single compulsory question and carries a potential 40 marks. It presents a detailed problem or ‘crisis’ and candidates will be asked to respond to this problem from the perspective of their specialist area of expertise as well as being expected to understand the wider implications of block management.
- Part 2 - a choice of answering three questions from eight - candidates need to provide detailed answers on specialist areas covering service charge accounting, general property management, technical/building/surveying and affordable housing. Two questions will be available for each specialist area.
- Pass mark for the Member Exam is 60%
- Time allowed is two and a half hours
- Member Exam guidance is available in the Resource Hub which is located within the Members Area Click here to log in
- The syllabus and past exam papers are available in the Members Area in the Resource Hub.
- Associates need to have fulfilled and recorded up to date IRPM CPD requirements before being given exam results or offered an upgrade to Member (MIRPM) membership
- The Member Exam is organised by the Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) and provided twice a year in three cities
The CIH has also produced a Students Guide which incorporates Examination Regulations. This can be obtained by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning the CIH on 02476 851754.